Monday, March 22, 2010

Improvisation

Looking for some dinner tonight during the Penguins/ Red Wings game, I scoured my cupboards and my freezer and found some cheese ravioli. I am a HUGE ravioli fan, so I boiled up some water, threw in a little salt (a trick Weiss Center introduced me to), and went to the fridge to get out my red sauce.

Unfortunately, I had no red sauce in there. I don't cook pasta all that often, and my last jar of pasta sauce magically morphed from "Spicy Red Pepper" flavor to "Mold" flavor. I didn't want to get burned again, so I guess last time I hit the grocery store, I left the pasta sauce off the list.

In a bind, I opted for Newman's Own Italian Dressing. This is probably my favorite Italian dressing, as its very rich, full of herbs, and flavorful. Once the ravioli were done, I poured a nice layer of Newman over the little pillows. I then proceeded to toss on some hot pepper flakes, oregano, and basil, and of course, about a pound and a half of parmesan cheese.

All in all, this improvisation was not that bad. Not as good as a nice rich red sauce or meat sauce, but a bit better than I had even anticipated. The lesson is, as always, with enough parmesan cheese, anything is possible.

1 comment: